Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Airport Body Scanners: Humilitating and UnAmerican

Coming back from Boston on Monday, I had to go through the new full body scanners at Logan Airport.  Not everybody has to do it, just selected travelers (like me).

I have to tell you, I think I've reached my limit with the TSA and security business.  I'm sick of practically disrobing for them to make sure I'm not a terrorist.  Taking off my coat, taking off my shoes (with no place to sit down to take them off), taking off my belt, taking everything out of my pockets (I actually lost the boarding passes this time in the process), having them make you feel like you're guilty until proven innocent.  Now, they make you stand in front of this huge machine, put your feet inside the blue boxes, hold your hands up like you're under arrest, and then blast you with an x-ray to get your naked image for some 'officer' to look at and make sure you don't have an explosive in your underware.

By the time I reached the uniformed officer standing outside the scanner, telling me to wait in front of him, I must have been red in the face from frustration.  All I could say to him was, 'this is ridiculous'.  I half expected him to pull me aside and do a 'pat down' for my insubordination.

And it is.  We're just a bunch of cowering sheep if we allow this kind of thing to continue.  It's humiliating, degrading, cowardly, and unAmerican.

Check out these two articles on the subject from other disgusted travelers: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/adams-m9.1.1.html and http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/roberts-m1.1.1.html (the latter is by a pilot for an airlines).

No comments:

Post a Comment