Saturday, October 10, 2009

Turn It Down?

What a sad thing for Barack Obama, this Nobel Peace Prize. He didn't want the prize, what with all the headaches it gives him. It won't mean much to him now, or ever really. In a few years, if things turn out well in one of his major international initiatives, he might have truly enjoyed receiving it and the prestige and respect that normally goes with it. But not yet.

The Scandinavians simply got ahead of themselves, out of their simple joy at what the American election had wrought. They should have given the Prize to the American people for having rejected the militarist McCain and electing a young black internationalist. We who voted for Obama were the real recipients of the Prize, I think. It is we who deserved it and so I'll take my, what, $.05 worth of prize money. (I'm just kidding, I think.)

You know, in the long run, maybe Obama should have turned it down. Can he still do that? I think he could. Or perhaps give the medal and the money to Neda's family and the Green Revolution in Iran.

No comments:

Post a Comment