Monday, May 16, 2011

The Execution of Osama

The big news that's happened since I last posted in March is the execution of Osama Bin Laden, in his 'compound' in Abbotabad, Pakistan, where he apparently had lived for a number of years.  President Obama sent in a team of Navy Seals to kill him, after having tracked him down over the better part of a year.  His body was taken and dumped into the Arabian Sea, off the coast of Pakistan.  The government says that there was a huge cache of information taken from his compound, in the form of hard drives, documents, etc.

My first reaction to this, which I posted on Facebook, was that Obama had just guaranteed his reelection.  On further thought, I now think that was an overreaction and that the political 'bounce' that Obama gets from this will wear off pretty quickly.  In fact, given the skit on Saturday Night Live two days ago, which I'll share below, I'd say that there is a certain level of cynicism developing about it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment