Monday, December 14, 2009

Copenhagen in Chaos

It sounds like a real mess in Copenhagen at the Climate Change Conference: demonstrators being arrested outside, developing countries walking out inside, skeptics having heart attacks on television, scientific scandels casting a big shadow on the whole thing. 

Wait a minute: I think I see something!  It's a bird.  No, it's a plane.  No, it's SUPEROBAMA to the rescue!!  (Okay, I couldn't resist that, from my years as a young kid watching Superman shows on television.)

Obama is going to the conference, but I don't think even he's going to be able to save a deal, at this point.  There are too many positions, not enough consensus, there or here.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have been heartsick about the whole thing.  But after the 'climategate' scandel and additional reading I've done recently, I'm not quite as upset.  I've begun to realize that the data and the theory behind climate change isn't as simple or straightforward as I had thought.  Any climate scientist who says s/he is sure they know what is going to happen isn't being honest, I think.  There is a whole lot more uncertainty involved.

However, as the Caretaker has said on this site previously, there are plenty of other good reasons to pursue limitations on fossil fuel use, especially in America, which has become addicted to oil.  We need to go to a 12 step program for oil addicts, and get ourselves some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment