Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cosmo Boy Victorious

One of the striking things to me about Scott Brown, the winner of Ted Kennedy's Senate seat in Massachusetts, was his 'everyman' campaign style, which he continued on the stage last night at his victory rally.  It's a kind of upgraded, 'Sarah Palinesque' style, fit for the Bay State.  I don't necessarily think it will wear very long there, and with a decent Democratic candidate next time, Brown's tenure could be very short indeed.

Having said that, the Democrats are clearly in trouble.  I think it started with the alienation in their progressive base, who have found very little to like in Obama's first year.  And then independents moved away quite quickly, for their own mysterious reasons (Obama couldn't miraculously cure the economy?).

This clearly leaves the unpopular health care bill adrift or perhaps better, beached.  Who knows what parts of it will pass, if any.  I hope the pre-existing conditions part will pass, but I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment