Monday, January 18, 2010

Gloomy Andrew

Andrew Sullivan is really bummed out:
The Democrats are a clapped out, gut-free lobbyist machine. The Republicans are insane. The system is therefore paralyzed beyond repair.

Yes, I'm gloomy. Not because I was so wedded to this bill, although I think it's a decent enough start. But because if America cannot grapple with its deep and real problems after electing a new president with two majorities, then America's problems are too great for Americans to tackle.

And so one suspects that this is a profound moment in the now accelerating decline of this country.
As for me, I've been gloomy ever since Obama started appointing his advisors (which means for over a year now). It seemed to me then that there would be no real reform, but just an attempt to resurrect the 90s. And that was not what I voted for, nor do I think it will work.

I realize now that I let myself be deceived by the campaign rhetoric and energy into believing that fundamental reform of our system could be effected.  However, I've come to believe that the basic problem, along the lines of what Sullivan is saying, lies in our corrupt, paralyzed political system and culture. 

And that, even if Obama wanted to change it (which I really don't think he does), would be bigger than his ambitions and powers.

No comments:

Post a Comment