Friday, February 5, 2010

How Great Thou Art

The Milky Way galaxy's most massive star has been spotted in a "glowing stellar nursery" in space.

The picture (see below) of the massive Milky Way star was captured by the European Southern Observatory's aptly named 'Very Large Telescope,' which measures 27 feet in diameter.

This massive star is housed in the NGC 3603 nebula, in the Carina spiral arm of the Milky Way, which is known as one of the luminous and most compact star clusters. It is located 22,000 light-years away from Earth.


"O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder consider all the works Thy hand hath made, I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder, thy power throughout the universe displayed: Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to thee, how great thou art! how great thou art!"

No comments:

Post a Comment