Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger Woods Repents

This is a very powerful apology by Tiger Woods, with all the classic elements of acceptance of responsibility, acknowledgement of wrongdoing, contrition, and commitment to change.  No excuses.  No scapegoats.  No defensiveness.  Total humility.  I don't know how anyone could have wanted anything more from him in this statement.  A couple of excerpts:
The issue involved here was my repeated irresponsible behavior. I was unfaithful. I had affairs. I cheated. What I did is not acceptable, and I am the only person to blame.

I stopped living by the core values that I was taught to believe in. I knew my actions were wrong, but I convinced myself that normal rules didn't apply. I never thought about who I was hurting. Instead, I thought only about myself. I ran straight through the boundaries that a married couple should live by. I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to. I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me. I felt I was entitled. Thanks to money and fame, I didn't have to go far to find them.

I was wrong. I was foolish. I don't get to play by different rules. The same boundaries that apply to everyone apply to me. I brought this shame on myself. I hurt my wife, my kids, my mother, my wife's family, my friends, my foundation, and kids all around the world who admired me.

I've had a lot of time to think about what I've done. My failures have made me look at myself in a way I never wanted to before. It's now up to me to make amends, and that starts by never repeating the mistakes I've made. It's up to me to start living a life of integrity.
As the Psalmist wrote many years ago, “The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment