Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dear Newton

But before I go, let me draw your attention to an article by Olivia Judson, a science writer for the NYT (and the sister of my niece Amanda's boyfriend Nicholas). She tells us that Dec. 25 is also the birthday of Isaac Newton, perhaps the greatest scientist/thinker ever. And she gives us this jingle to sing this week:

On the tenth day of Newton, My true love gave to me, Ten drops of genius, Nine silver
coins, Eight circling planets, Seven shades of liight, Six counterfeiters, Cal-Cu-Lus! Four telescopes, Three Laws of Motion, Two awful feuds, And the discovery of gravity!

So we lift a cup of cheer to the great Newton!!

Ps. I once preached a sermon where I compared Newton (the scientific genius) to apostle Paul (the spiritual genius) and I was going to link you to it, but I'll be doggone if I can find it. When I do find it, I'll let you know. Until then, here's another sermon that I now dedicate to the great Christian Isaac Newton, on the false choice that some thinkers pose between scientific and religious faith (you can actually have both!).

No comments:

Post a Comment