Friday, August 31, 2012

The Real Mitt

Having completed the 2012 Republican Convention (and still recovering from Clint Eastwood's monologue), it strikes me that the Mitt we saw for most of his speech last night was actually the 'real' Mitt Romney...minus the add-on policy stuff at the end to please the conservatives in the audience.

First of all, the loving son, the devout Mormon, and the faithful and head-over-in heels-in love husband and father. That truly is at the heart of this man. Secondly, the CEO who is the consummate, totally driven businessman. And thirdly, the totally pragmatic politician who really does not have an ideological bone in his body, except for that which supports the first two propositions above (family, faith, and business).

Matt Latimer, former Bush (43) speechwriter, wrote this about Romney in the Daily Beast, trying to imagine what he would say in his acceptance speech if he could speak totally honestly.
Look, I’ve said a lot of things over the course of the campaign that I didn’t really mean. Or frankly even understand. I did it because that’s how you win a nomination these days. The two people I most respect in politics are my dad and the first George Bush. They were both moderates uncomfortable with the rightward drift of the party. Neither of them really respected President Reagan, or thought of themselves as part of some ideological movement. I am a pragmatist—that’s how you succeed in business. I work with anyone who can help my companies succeed and turn a profit. A big profit. I really believe I can do the same thing for the American economy by finding a way to work with anybody I can to turn things around and bring profits to the Treasury. If that means raising taxes, I’ll do it if I can get away with it. Cutting spending? Well, that’s going to be too hard because the American people don’t really want them. And I want to get reelected. All of you who voted for me know deep down who I really am. You picked me over more conservative candidates, you ignored all of my past positions, because the professional conservatives on TV told you that I was the best person to win and more than anything you really, really want to beat the hated Barack Obama. I gave you Paul Ryan to make you happy—maybe I’ll even listen to him sometimes. So no more pandering for me. We all know what we’re doing here. Just go to your ballot box, close your eyes, and vote for me whether you like it or not. Thank you and good night.

Can these things make him a good President of the USA? It is very possible that we shall be getting an answer to that question in a few months now. Given the alternatives (in the Republican primaries), I'm quite glad it's him, and not Cain, Gingrich, Perry, Bachman, Santorum, Paul, etc., each and every one of whom was totally off-the-wall! My guess is they don't even know who Mitt Romney is, and how or what he'll do as President! What a country!

3 comments:

  1. Dave Swaney said...
    The real question is: "Who would best lead the nation to, 'If my people, who are called by my name (Christians) will humble themselves, pray,seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin and heal their land.'. Not the true nonbelievers, but the fence-sitters who proclaim to know His story. Humbled through persecution, or by purposefully allowing Spiritually anointed leaders to awaken us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to have had the chance to vote for another Mormon who made a lot more sense, had some foreign policy experience, and spoke truly of his positions and beliefs...Jon Huntsman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Totally driven" businessman. "Totally pragmatic" politician. No ideology except as to his roles as husband provider.

    How about a man who is driven and pragmatic. No vices here. To suppose that there is no ideology driving his understanding of the earthly city is an incoherence that I cannot accept. We all have a worldview. That worldview (ideology) predicts how we will act in time and space.

    ReplyDelete