Thursday, October 16, 2008

McCain Finally Bests Obama

McCain was definitely the funnier presidential candidate at the Al Smith Dinner in New York, shown on CNN. Not a reason to vote for him, but he was good! And it seemed to ease the tensions between the two of them, which is also good. At the end of his presentation, McCain added this serious (and very honorable) note about Obama:

"I don't want it getting out of this room, but my opponent is an impressive fellow in many ways. Political opponents can have a little trouble seeing the best in each other. But I've had a few glimpses of this man at his best and I admire his great skill, energy and determination. It's not for nothing, but he's inspired many folks in his own party and beyond. Senator Obama talks about making history and he's made quite a bit of it already. There was a time when the mere invitation of an African-American citizen to dine at the White House was taken as an outrage and an insult. Today is a world away from the cruelty and prideful bigotry of that time - and good riddance. I can't wish my opponent luck, but I do wish him well."

No comments:

Post a Comment