Friday, October 3, 2008

Palin and the Wink

A lot is being made of Sarah Palin's use of 'the wink' in her debate with Joe Biden. I counted three or four winks at different points. It was really weird and annoyed me. What would have been the equivalent of the wink for Biden? I can't even imagine. A whistle? It seemed to me to be something she does fairly habitually, but I think it was quite inappropriate in a debate between two people seeking to be the second most powerful person in the world. It's too cutsy, more appropriate for a cheerleader or beauty contest. I want my Vice-President to be more like a school principal: serious, articulate, smart, concerned, disciplined. I don't think a school principal would spend much time winking at her students.

Also, this: "The chant is drill, baby, drill." Wow, what a thing to correct Senator Biden on. I give her the benefit of the doubt that she was trying to be funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment